Sunday, February 5, 2012

12-03-05 Journey

Just the other day, I was asking my colleague, sorta boss but not quite, to turnover his work to me since he's been posted to another project. I "asked" him, very seriously, that we have to do this so that I'll know what to do when he leaves.

One of my other office mates came by and started joking about how I'm gonna be doing a lot of work from now on. I replied, amidst jokingly, that since I'm being assigned my sorta boss' work load, I might as well get the same salary. My sorta boss replied, "You have to reach 50 years (old) first".

I know he didn't mean anything by that other than I'd have to get more experience, but his tone implied that I won't be able to arrive to his salary unless I'm the same age as he is.

The thing is, we both work for the planning department. It's my first job here in Hong Kong. He has been working in civil projects for more than 20 years, but not as a planning engineer. He's been in our trade for 3 years. That's not so far off from my 1 year experience in the company. So I got a little bit ticked off when he told me that. Especially when I'm a witness at how much he really knows about project planning. He used to be a quantity surveyor specializing in steel.

Honestly, it's not in the length of service, it's in the quality of service. It doesn't matter if he has stayed in the job for so many years, but if it seems like he can't do his job properly? No one wonder he thinks it should take him that long to get that much pay.

I hate it when people tend to underestimate others.

No comments:

Post a Comment