Thursday, February 2, 2012

12-02-03 Potatoes

I was talking to a colleague at lunch about company positions, getting a promotion, and recommending people to the company. I mentioned how I tried to get someone in the company but failed to do so. I submitted the CV twice, but she told me I shouldn't have asked one of those people because according her, "that person is just a small potato".

I'm not ignorant of the fact that it is a status quo for people to have a very good network in order to have a good career. I for one have used my connections to land my first job. Now that I'm face to face with the possibility of people around me, who are absolutely clueless, getting promoted when I can do the job better... it kinda frustrates me. Especially when even though I got my first job through a connection, I landed it based on my reputation.

I know what others are doing, I've been told stories of how the others got promoted. But, I don't want to be like anybody else. My non-conformist attitude cannot condone this, other than the fact that this is obviously not the right way going up. But the thing is, this is reality. It really bites you in the ass and gives you a good wack when it catches up to you.

I haven't gotten any promotion yet, and I don't think I'm going to get any soon (especially when I know that my boss would rather have someone who can walk the talk).

I know I'm not going to get there with just skills alone. I have to work on my social skills too. I am sure, though, that I can't do it the same way as other people do. I'm not comfortable with feeding other people's ego just so they can feel good about themselves, even if they're my boss. Then again, reality's a *****, so I'll have to find another way. Nobody said I can't do it my own way, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment